A blunt is a catch-all term for any marijuana cigar rolled in tobacco leaf paper. The name originates from a particular brand of cigars called Phillies Blunts, called such for their large size. The old-school making a blunt is by slicing open a pre-wrapped cigar, removing the tobacco inside, re-filling the resulting shell with marijuana and resealing it, however this method can be very time consuming and in recent years many companies have started offering blunt wraps that can be used the same way as standard rolling papers. In Great Britain, a blunt is a catch-all term for any rolled smoking medium (typically simple rolling papers) that is only cannabis. Blunt wraps are very seldom seen but can be found in some headshops.
How to Roll a Blunt
There are two ways to roll a proper blunt, a proper blunt being an actual cigar (i.e. Dutch Master, Game). This section will cover what many consider to be the best way, and it is known to some as "pearling". The other way is used in the ghetto and involves cracking the blunt with a knife, and will not be covered here.
- After removing the packaging, apply moisture (via saliva) to the outer blunt leaf. One should concentrate their moisture application to the mouthpiece-end of the blunt, because this is where the outer leaf is unrolled from.
- Once the outer leaf has been adequately moistened, follow the spiral of the leaf, observing where it terminates, at the top of the mouthpiece. After locating the end of the leaf, slowly unwrap it and if you're with someone else, tell them to "steam" it, or cup it in their hands over their mouth and breath heavily on it, to moisten it. If you're alone, you can just do this later.
- Now to remove the above-mentioned cancer paper. Observing the darker brown/gray paper at the mouthpiece, one must attempt to find the seam. This is the easiest way to remove it. If the seam cannot be located, one can also tear the cancer paper off using whatever means necessary, making sure to NOT tear any part of the main brown inner leaf. This "inner leaf" is really little more than tobacco pulp paper, but, for the purposes of this article, will be referred to as the inner leaf.
- With the cancer paper removed, look for the long seam running the length of the inner leaf. Once located, one can apply pressure to the seam with the thumbs, starting at the end opposite of the mouthpiece. Carefully pop the seam running down towards the mouthpiece.
- After the inner leaf is successfully opened, one can now obviously dispose of the "guts". Replace these guts with your product.
While just about any amount from .5 and up can be used well in a blunt, the most comfortable range seems to be somewhere in between .8 and 1.5 grams. With some skill, amounts as large as 2+ grams can be used.
- The same technique one would use when rolling a joint is now applied. Gather the weed within the inner leaf, rolling it into a cylinder. When a desirable, somewhat sturdy shape is achieved, one can now seal the inner leaf, rolling the slack of the leaf to the top and folding/rolling it over, binding it with saliva. It's important to note that no matter how sloppy or poorly rolled the inner leaf is, as long a somewhat coherent, blunt-like shape is achieved, the outer leaf can fix any problems with the inner leaf.
- Retrieve the long outer leaf, if it isn't already moist, moisten it using the above-mentioned method. Place the newly-constructed inner part of the blunt on the rolling surface in front of you, parallel to your torso. Now place the long outer leaf at a 45 degree angle to the blunt, veins up. Put the blunt on top of the outer leaf, and, using the leverage of your rolling surface, begin rolling the outer leaf around the blunt, maintaining the 45 degree angle throughout the roll. It's important to keep the roll tight, but not quite strangle-hold tight. Twist and pinch any excess outer leaf; this will usually create a suitable mouthpiece.
- One can now apply the flame from a lighter, roasting the outside of the blunt, which will remove any excess moisture. The blunt is now ready to burn. An alternate to this method is placing the moistened, rolled, blunt in a microwave for 13 seconds "on the dot".
- Disclaimer- Rolling with blunt wraps in some circles can be seen as pussy shit, real men roll with Dutch Masters*
These can normally bought at your local gas station, headshop or corner hippie hole. Bluntwraps are sold individually as the wrap itself, to make the creation of a blunt faster and easier, as it eliminates the need for tobacco removal prior to weed stuffage.
Bluntwraps usually, if not always, take the form of a sheet of tobacco-based paper rolled tightly around a thin plastic tube, sealed in a watertight pouch or pack to retain moisture. A blunt employing this type of wrap is usually assembled similar to a joint, albeit larger and more easily rolled, due to excess paper. These bluntwraps come in even more flavors than cigar-based blunts, ranging from chocolate to mango, and even to obscure flavors such as "wet pussy."